"The hotel was built by James Hammell as the Grand Union Hotel in 1876 and was often called the "Conejo" or "Big" Hotel. In 1885, the site was purchased by Cecil Haigh. In 1965, his grandson, H. Allen Hays, donated 4 acres and the hotel to the community and it was moved to its present site because of the construction of the freeway. The hotel has also functioned as a school, post office, steak house, church, gift shop and movie set. The sycamore tree was cited due to its great "age, size and formation."