Built in 1849 for Joshua D. Crippen and Co., it served as an adobe trading post and dwelling house until 1865. George Reid bought the property in 1851. Sold to Matthew Foote in 1866 who converted the building and opened the Garrote Hotel, renamed the Groveland Hotel in 1875. Groveland was known as Garrote, which loosely translates to "hanging", a deed for which the town was infamous. From 1878 until 1990, the hotel was owned by no less than 12 people and companies. During the teens and twenties, the hotel was known for its parties and dances and gained notoriety as a sporting house, including gambling, drinking and a bull pen with working girls all under one roof. In 1927, Lyle passed away in room 15, also known as Lyle's Room. Lyle is known to entertain guests to this day. In the 1940's the hotel served as a Greyhound Bus stop until it closed in 1950. Open and closed several times during the 60's, 70's and 80's, the property was used as a hotel, office buildings and served as the Groveland District Ranger Station offices. In 1986 the property was sold, stripped of its interior, ending in foreclosure. Present owners Peggy and Grover Mosley became the newest innkeepers in 1990 and in 1992 completed a million dollar restoration. The Groveland Hotel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.