The Reynolda Historic District was part of the country estate developed from 1912-1919 by Richard Joshua Reynolds and his wife, Katherine Smith Reynolds. Financed by the enormous wealth generated by Reynolds' tobacco industry, the estate was a farm community and the setting for Rynolda, the main house designed by architect Charles Barton Keen. Reynolda's garden's were designed by landscape architect Thomas W. Sears, and provided relaxation, food, and horticultural education. Today, the district serves as an educational, cultural, and commercial complex for the community, which is in keeping with the Reynolds' original plan. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.