Erected in 1831 by Dominique Bouligny. Construction was begun by John McLeary and completed by James Crowe. The cast-iron verandah is a later addition.Bouligny, born in New Orleans in 1773, was a soldier, statesman, and planter. He was a lieutenant in the Spanish Colonial Louisiana Infantry Regiment, a major in the American Louisiana Fourth Regiment, and member of "the Committee for Defense of New Orleans" during the Battle of New Orleans. Bouligny served on the illustrious Cabildo, Louisiana's first territorial legislature, the Orleans Parish Police Jury, and in the United States Senate. He was also a sugar planter, sugar mill operator, and tafia producer.