This raised one-story cottage originally was located at 620 Market Street. Before the property was purchased by Victor Gustafson in 1895, it had belonged to Swiss immigrant Henry Rosenburg, who is remembered as a prominent businessman and public benefactor.
The builder of this cottage, Victor Gustafson (1870-1956), was a native of Finland. He worked on the Galveston wharves and constructed this home for his family during the last years of the nineteenth century. Although the house was partially destroyed during the 1900 storm, Gustafson was able to rebuild and to enlarge it as as his family grew in number. A good example of a working class home in the 1800-1900 period of Galveston history, the structure was moved to this site in the East End Historical District in 1979.
From 1918 until 1965, this lot on Postoffice Street was the location of the Cordray Drugstore. Well known to Galvestonians, the business was begun by pharmacist Edmund Joseph Cordray (1879-1965). Cordray was a native of Galveston and a graduate of the University of Texas School of Pharmacy. The drugstore closed upon his death. The structure at the site was condemned and torn down leaving an empty lot to which the Victor Gustafson home was moved.