Old French Kansas City

Old French Kansas City (HMYIV)

Location: Kansas City, MO 64105 Jackson County
Country: United States of America

N 39° 5.933', W 94° 35.215'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 259 views
Inscription
English Version

A short distance northwest of this marker was the center of the village which in the early 1800's the St. Louis Chouteau called "Chez Lez Canses"" meaning "at the home of the Kansas." Others called it "Chouteau's." The Chouteaus founded Kansas City in 1821 to trade for beaver furs with the French-speaking Kansa. French traders started coming up the Missouri as early as 1680 and traded on the River thereafter; some located here temporarily in 1799, and a few Canadian French farmers arrived here about 1803 to 1813. To the west was the Church of St. Francis Regis, built of logs by the French-speaking parishoners in 1835, with its cemetery behind. Down over the West Bluffs were little arpent strip farms of the French, and their songs and the music of their fiddles could be heard in the area which is now Quality Hill. To the North along the Missouri river were their open fields which became Kansas City's old square. North of Ft. Leavenworth was the abandoned site of Fort Cavagnal (1744-1764) at the second old Kansas Grand Village. East past Prudhumme's farm which downtown Kansas City was platted, was Francois and Berenice Chouteau's trading post near the present Chouteau Bridge. Further east near Brunswick, Mo., was the former home of Ft. Orleans established at the Missouri Village in 1723, for trade with Taos and Santa Fe, by Etienne Veniard, Sieur de Bourgmont, protege of Louis XIV and the Regent. French mountain men-turned trail guides visited Westport to the South, probably including Sacajawea's son, Jean Baptiste Charbonneau, former "Chouteau's" resident. Out Wornall Road, the Old French trail led to Pappinville, abandoned Ft, Carondelet and Chouteau's Trading Post, South among the Osage.

French Version

A environ deux blocs au nord-ouest de cette plaque, se trouvait le centre du village nomm? "chez les Canses" ce qui voulait dire "chez les Kansa" par la famille Chouteau de Saint Louis d?but des ann?es 1800. D'autres l'appelaient "Aux Chouteaux". Les Chourteau fond?rerent Kansas City en 1821 afin d'?tablir un comploir commercial de fourrures de castor avec les Kansa francophones. Les negociants fran?ais commenc?rent ? remonter le Missouri des 1680 et continu?rent luer commerce le long de la rivi?re. Certains s'?tablirent temporairement en 1799 et quelques fermiers canadiens fran?ais arriv?ment vers les ann?es 1803-1813. A l'ouest se trouvent l'?glise de Saint-Francois Regis, construite en troncs d'arbes par les pariossiens francophones en 1835 ainsi que son cimeti?re. En contrebas sur les collines de l'ouest, il y avail quelque arpents de terre appartenat ? des fermiers francais d'ou les chants et la musique des violons s'envolaient vers ce qui est des nos jours Quality Hill. En direction du nord, il y avait plusieurs fermes fran?aises sur les Missouri dont les champs devinrent le vieux carr? de Kansas City, ? present le march? de la ville. Au nord du Fort Leavenworth se s'etait l'emplacement abandonn? de Fort Cavagnal (1744-1764) pr du second grand village des Kansa. A l'est au-del? de la ferme de Prudhumme sur l'aquelle le contrebas de la ville de Kansas City fut fond? se trouvail le comptoir commercial de Fran?ois et B?r?nice Chouteau, pr d'o? se trouve a prent le pont Chouteau. Plus loin, ? l'est pr de Brunswick, Missouri, ?tait l'ancien emplacement du Fort Orl?ans ?tabli au village de Missouri en 1723 pour le commerce avec Taos et Santa Fe par Etienne V?niard, seigneur de Bourgmont, prot?g? de Louis XIV et du R?gent. Des montagnards fran?ais devenus guides des pistes visit?rent Westport au sud. Parmi eux ?tait sans doute le fils de Sacajawea, Jean Baptiste Charbonneau, habitant autrefois de "Chouteau". A partir de la rue Wornall, l'ancienne piste fran?aise menait a Pappinville, Au fort abandonn? de Corodelet et au comptoir d'?changes de Chouteau au sud dans le pays d'Osage.
Details
HM NumberHMYIV
Tags
Marker Number1
Placed ByChouteau Society Francis Families Foundation
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Tuesday, October 7th, 2014 at 11:50am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)15S E 362773 N 4328948
Decimal Degrees39.09888333, -94.58691667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 39° 5.933', W 94° 35.215'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds39° 5' 55.98" N, 94° 35' 12.90" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)816
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 1201-1299 Central St, Kansas City MO 64105, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. What year was the marker erected?
  8. This marker needs at least one picture.
  9. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  10. Is the marker in the median?