The Lukens National Historic DistrictThe successful growth of the Brandywine mill is reflected in Terracina, which was built in 1850-1851 by Rebecca Lukens for her daughter, Isabella Lukens Huston, and Isabella's husband, Dr. Charles Huston. Constructed in the Country Gothic style made popular by American designers A.J. Davis & A.J. Downing, the exterior displays Gothic Revival features - peaked wall dormers with tall finials, diamond-paned lancet windows, and a large overhanging roof cornice with curvilinear bargeboards cut in Gothic tracery. A two-story Renaissance Revival bay was added to the south side of the house in 1875. When the Lukens iron business was incorporated in 1890, Dr. Huston became the firm's first president. His home, Terracina, is the link between the 18th-century Brandywine Mansion and the more substantial late 19th- and early 20th-century buildings that became its neighbors. Terracina remained a family residence until 1985. It is not owned by the Graystone Society, which was undertaken its restoration and preservation.
|Placed By||Graystone Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, September 18th, 2014 at 9:25pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 429799 N 4425944|
|Decimal Degrees||39.98075000, -75.82216667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 58.845', W 75° 49.33'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 58' 50.70" N, 75° 49' 19.80" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||610, 484|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 76 S 1st Ave, Coatesville PA 19320, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.