Lukens Historic DistrictThe small house known as Brandywine Mansion is the oldest structure in the Lukens National Historic District. The original east section, closer to the road, dates back to the mid 1700s and the larger west section was added around 1788, shortly after the property was sold the Moses Coates. It is believed that President George Washington stopped at Brandywine Mansion in 1794 en route to Philadelphia after quelling the Whiskey Rebellion in western Pennsylvania. Moses Coates sold the house and 110.5 acres to Jesse Kersey and ironmaster Isaac Pennock in 1810. Mr. Pennock converted the farms sawmill into a rolling mill and his business, Brandywine Iron Works & Nail Factory, was the beginning of Lukens Steel Company. Mr. Pennock's daughter, Rebecca, and her husband, Dr. Charles Lukens, moved to Brandywine Mansion in 1816. Together they began restructuring the mill to role plate iron by 1818. After Charles Lukens' death in 1825, Rebecca assumed management of the mill; thus she is credited as being America's first and most prominent female industrialist. She continued to live in Brandywine Mansion until her death in 1854.
|Placed By||The Graystone Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, September 15th, 2014 at 6:26am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 429835 N 4425956|
|Decimal Degrees||39.98086667, -75.82175000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 58.852', W 75° 49.305'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 58' 51.12" N, 75° 49' 18.30" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||610, 484|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 76 S 1st Ave, Coatesville PA 19320, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.