The town of Nipton was born on February 9, 1905 with the coming of the first train on the newly constructed San Pedro, Los Angles and Salt Lake Railroad. Originally called Nippeno Camp after a nearby gold discovery, the name was changed to Nipton when the SP, LA & SL merged with the Union Pacific Circa 1910. For many years, the depot was a cattle-loading station for several local ranches including Yates Ranch, the Walking Box, and Rock Springs Land and Cattle Co. The town and depot also supplied numerous mines in the area, becoming a social center for the sparse population of the region. Community facilities included a school, post office, voter precinct, and several small businesses. Begun as a 20th century railroad depot, Nipton is re-forming into a 21st century gateway to the Mohave National Preserve.