The Fountain Inn Rosenwald School, also known as the Fountain Inn Colored School, was a complex of several buildings built here from 1928 to 1942. The first school, a frame seven-room elementary school for grades 1-7, was a Rosenwald school, one of 500 rural schools in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Fund from 1917 to 1932. It was built in 1928-29 at a cost of $7,200.
The Fountain Inn Colored High School, a frame three-room high school for grades 8-11, was built in 1930. A frame teacherage was built in 1935 for principal Gerard A. Anderson, and by 1942 this complex included a library, gymnasium, and three new classrooms. The high school closed in 1954, and the elementary school closed in 1960. The 1935 teacherage is the only building standing; the rest were demolished in 2000.