The Lukens National Historic DistrictAddressing the needs of a growing business, a new office building was constructed on South First Avenue. Groundbreaking took place in 1902 and Lukens Main Office was completed in the fall of 1903. The building proved to be an aesthetic enhancement to the community as well as meeting the practical requirements of the time. Cope & Stewardson, the architects of Graystone Mansion, were retained for the project and once again demonstrated their combination of masterful skills and historical styling. They designed the building in elegant Georgian Revival, blending Flemish bond brick work with limestone trim, slate roofing and classical wooden cornice to create a building of handsome proportions, comfortable dignity, and lasting appeal. The original T-shaped building became an "H" when a addition by Stewardson & Page was placed on the west side in 1916. The highlight of the building's interior is its meticulously crafted lobby featuring a majestic grand staircase and natural-finish oak woodwork. The lobby was beautifully restored t its former appearance in 1988. Lukens Main Office has been in continuous use since its construction. This building was purchased from Bethlehem Steel Corporation by Huston Properties, Inc. in 2000, and is now known as the Lukens Executive Office Building.
|Placed By||Graystone Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 26th, 2014 at 3:54pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 429748 N 4426087|
|Decimal Degrees||39.98203333, -75.82278333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 58.922', W 75° 49.367'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 58' 55.32" N, 75° 49' 22.02" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||610, 484|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 53-71 S 1st Ave, Coatesville PA 19320, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.