Many acres in this area were originally owned by Peter Wright a black man and one of the first settlers of this area. He sold his property to Thomas Mason, an English recluse, who later sold the property to Richard W. Goode for $110.
The property became grounds of the Goode House (a hotel), later renamed the Bellevue Hotel (located where the Orange Spot Apartments are now).
About 1924 the Flatiron Building was erected. Part of the property was deeded to the city for a street, and this triangular point of land began to sprout trees, checker players and horseshoe pitchers. Later, band concerts, political rallies, auctions, gopher races and marbles were enjoyed here.
William C. Campbell, owner of the property in 1928 gave the land to the city for a park.