The San Pedro, Salt Lake and Los Angeles Railroad bought Helen Stewart's Las Vegas Ranch in 1902, giving it control of the Las Vegas Springs and the water supply needed for the creation of Las Vegas in 1905. The railroad's subsidiary, the Las Vegas Land and Water Company, regulated water use. Early delivery to residents was inconsistent, often due to the use of redwood pipes. The valley was dotted with artesian wells; unfortunately many were unmonitored, contributing to the depletion of the water table. The building of Hoover Dam and the formation of Lake Mead n the 1930s eventually provided a permanent, stable water supply for the valley. The Las Vegas Land and Water company sold the facilities and rights to the Las Vegas Valley Water District in 1954. In the mid-1950s, Lake Mead water began to flow into Las Vegas. Water has been a key factor in the evolution of Las Vegas and will continue to play a critical role in the sustainability of our community.