Oakland Landmark Number 29St. Augustine's, originally Trinity Episcopal Church, is one of the oldest Episcopal church buildings in continual use in the city of Oakland today. It was built on land donated by Reverend John Bakewell, D.D., beginning in 1892 and was consecrated on Easter Sunday in 1893. Dr. Bakewell went on to become the first rector of the church, and his name is commemorated by John Bakewell Memorial Hall. constructed in the rear of the church on 29th Street in 1925 for recreational activities. Designed by William Hamilton of San Francisco, St. Augustine's is a rare and outstanding example of Victorian Carpenter Gothic architecture.
|Placed By||Oakland Heritage Alliance|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 7th, 2014 at 1:08am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 564460 N 4185889|
|Decimal Degrees||37.81813333, -122.26761667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 49.088', W 122° 16.057'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 49' 5.28" N, 122° 16' 3.42" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||510, 415|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 525 29th St, Oakland CA 94609, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.