Unfortunately, within a few months, the local mines faltered and on November 14, 1880, a devastating fire destroyed half the town forcing Murphy to relocate to Bishop, where he opened a new Temple of Folly.
Although its existence was brief, Mammoth's Temple of Folly typified the pioneer spirit of those first residents on the eastern Sierras and will forever be associated with the first days of Mammoth Lakes.
|Series||This marker is part of the E Clampus Vitus series|
|Placed By||E Clampus Vitus, Bodie Chapter No. 64|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 25th, 2014 at 4:51am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||11S E 326787 N 4167151|
|Decimal Degrees||37.63518333, -118.96308333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 38.111', W 118° 57.785'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 38' 6.66" N, 118° 57' 47.10" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 5489 Mammoth Creek Rd, Mammoth Lakes CA 93546, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.