In 1860 James Holland purchased this land and built the general store that still stands today. Located at the intersection of the toll roads to Baltimore and Olney, the store was at the heart of a community that became known as Holland's Corner.
In 1889, the intersection was renamed Norwood and issued a post office. James Holland was selected as the first postmaster. Holland's building was expanded to accommodate the store, post office, and a living area for Holland's family.
A former shopper recalled visits to the Holland Store in the early 1900s. Sugar was scooped from a barrel and sold for 54 cents per pound. Cheese was also sold by the pound. "Chunks" were cut from a cheese wheel stored in a wooden box.
The location of Holland's store on this 1865 map.
The Rachel Carson Greenway
In 2004, this trail corridor was named in honor of the mother of the modern environmental movement, Rachel Carson. When complete, the Rachel Carson Trail will be 25 miles long, connecting the Annacostia Trail System in Prince George's County, to the Patuxent River State Park in the north. The Greenway will eventually connect to the Seneca Creek Greenway and Potomac River creating a 50-mile continuous trail system in Montgomery County.
For more information and updates as this trail is built, visit www.MontgomeryTrails.org.
"Drink in the beauty ... and wonder at the meaning of what you see." - Rachel Carson, The Sense of Wonder (posthumously 1965)