This building was built in 1903 at 139 West Richmond Avenue by J.Q. Black who supplied the area with coal, wood, hay, and grain. Robert Dornan Sr. bought the building in 1909 and added the service of moving goods.
In 1911 he bought a truck and began the Richmond Supply Company, the oldest continuing family business in Richmond. Later his wife, Trannie Freeman, became part of the business and after W.W.II his son, Robert Dornan Jr., joined them. The building was sold in 1947 when the business moved into 145 West Richmond Avenue. The business continued until 1987.
In May 1990 the building was saved from destruction by community action. It was moved to its present location 139½ Washington Avenue to serve as an information center for the Point Richmond History Association.
Point Richmond History Association Project