In 1884, Robert S. Davis recalled that the first building was a round-log cabin, about sixteen feet square, erected by the Pore brothers, James and William, in April of 1821. Davis identified four families living at the site at that time. Records in Livingston County Affirm that a town called "Pekin" claimed this site. In a letter to his son, William Clark wrote that he chose to re-name the town "Paducah" to honor an Indian tribe, the Padoucas, that once was quite large but had been decimated by contact with Europeans. Despite its late start Paducah soon became the largest city in the region because of its favorable location on the rivers, and later as the terminus of the New Orleans and Ohio Railroad which was connected to likes running south in 1860.