In its early gold rush days, Deadwood had been a wild, raucous mining camp with a widespread reputation for lawlessness. But over time the community matured, and the residents supported law and order. Townspeople viewed the two government buildings as symbols of the respectability, permanence and importance that Deadwood had achieved.
[Photo captions; top left, bottom left and right]The building on the left in this 180s photograph served as Lawrence County Courthouse until workers demolished it to make way for the new courthouse. The structures farther north on Sherman are on the site of the federal building. [Photo credit:] Gold Belt Cities; Deadwood & Environs.
The United States District Court had met in Deadwood since the early gold rush days. Its first meeting in the mining camp was in a saloon on Lee Street. In the new federal building, the courtrooms occupied the second floor. The Classical revival design proclaimed the federal presence in the community. [Photo credit:] U.S. Post Office, Deadwood.
The new county courthouse, shown here in 1909, boasted beautiful murals on the walls and ceilings. Renovations covered this art, but it was exposed and restored in 1991. Additions have expanded the size of the original building, but it still serves at the center of county business. [Photo credit:] Wyoming State Museum.
|Placed By||Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, September 25th, 2014 at 4:38am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||13T E 601224 N 4914324|
|Decimal Degrees||44.37513333, -103.72941667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 44° 22.508', W 103° 43.765'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||44° 22' 30.48" N, 103° 43' 45.90" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 68 Sherman St, Deadwood SD 57732, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.