Dr. Elwyn Ballard, Commissioner of Boy Scouts in the Birmingham, and his wife, Florence Aye Ballard, discovered this site in 1914, and became vital forces in the founding and growth of the camp. Boy Scouts and Boys Club members from the area first camped here in tents in 1916. Through Dr. Ballard, the Interdenominational Birmingham Sunday School Association acquired the camp in 1918 and offered sessions not only for boys but for girls as well - the first organization-sponsored camping for girls in Alabama and among the first in the South. Daniel Ray Price, Executive Secretary of the Association, directed the camp 1922 - 1957. Rosa V. Strickland, educator and church leader served as girls camp director 1919 - 1954. Winnataska early received national recognition for excellence of staff, facilities, and programs.