The Deadwood miners were part of the Black Hills gold rush which Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer triggered in 1874. His military expedition on the Sioux reservation had confirmed earlier rumors of gold. Prospectors swarmed to the Black Hills, in spite of government attempts to keep them out of the Indian territory. Early prospectors kept their activities secret, which contributes to the mystery surrounding the Deadwood Gulch discovery. The miner's presence remained illegal until the Sioux treaty was ratified in February 1877.
[Photo credit:] South Dakota State Historical Society
|Placed By||Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 7th, 2014 at 7:11pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||13T E 601193 N 4914301|
|Decimal Degrees||44.37493333, -103.72980000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 44° 22.496', W 103° 43.788'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||44° 22' 29.76" N, 103° 43' 47.28" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 10 Pine St, Deadwood SD 57732, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.