(1.5 mi. southeast)Built in 1905 by Felipe Valerio (1878-1953) and his wife Jesusa (1886-1973), the Valerio store was an integral part of the small community of La Rosita. Located approximately halfway between San Diego and Freer, the store provided groceries and other goods for residents of this rural area. An increase in business from the area oil boom in the 1930s led to the addition of a gas station and garage. The store also served as a bus station, and Felipe Valerio was local postmaster from 1917 to 1929. Construction of State Highway 44 led to the closing of the store in 1956.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 20th, 2014 at 8:39am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14R E 556848 N 3076207|
|Decimal Degrees||27.80926667, -98.42283333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 27° 48.556', W 98° 25.37'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||27° 48' 33.36" N, 98° 25' 22.20" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 3280 TX-44, San Diego TX 78384, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.