Established Circa 1820Shiloh Cemetery is the first recorded Cumberland Presbyterian Cemetery in middle Alabama. Burial at Shiloh began in 1820, a year before the Shiloh Cumberland Presbyterian Church organized in 1821 at Oakridge, now Leeds. The cemetery stood back from the public road which was the stagecoach route from Montevallo to Ashville. The church remained at the site for years, on land owned by the State of Alabama and set aside for educational purposes. About 1878, the state sold the land, and the church, which had operated a church school, moved. The cemetery is maintained by the City of Leeds. Burials date as late as 2006. The oldest names affiliated with the founding of Leeds appear on the headstones. The first Sheriff of Shelby County is believed to be buried in an unmarked grave. Some of the first families in Counties Jefferson, St. Clair and Shelby are among those buried at Shiloh.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 4th, 2014 at 9:30am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 542571 N 3712364|
|Decimal Degrees||33.55006667, -86.54141667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 33.004', W 86° 32.485'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 33' 0.24" N, 86° 32' 29.10" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1152 Ashville Rd NE, Leeds AL 35094, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.