In 1915, the men of the Mt. Hebron Community cleared the land donated by Bess Simmons for school. Trees donated by Mitch Poole were placed on Rufus Brasher's wagon and taken to Will Scott's sawmill. The school opened in the fall of 1916 and closed in 1942. The Jefferson County Board of Education provided heating fuel, maintenance, and teacher's salaries. The school building also served as a voting site, a church, and hosted community meetings, such as the home extension club.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Organized in 1926, the Alabama Home Extension Clubs were administered by Auburn University. The mission was to "take the university to the people." The Mt. Hebron Club was organized during the Great Depression. Home Demonstration Agent Irby Barrett met with the ladies for lessons in homemaking. During World War II, the club members, using surplus government cotton, were taught how to make mattresses, to prepare fruits and vegetables for freezing and canning, arts and crafts, decorating, and social skills.
Listed in the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage. April 1, 2010