Originally the Main Office for National Cast Iron Pipe Company
A pipe foundry was established in 1912 by the following founders, A. H. Ford, F. M. Jackson, E. E. Linthicum, Charles Green and Charles Day. Originally the main office was located approximately 100 yards west of this building. The company prospered from the beginning and in a short time employed several hundred people. The company's growth mandated the need for a new and larger facility. In 1928, construction began on this building which was to house the general manager, accounting, sales and engineering departments. In 1938, James B. Clow and Sons, a Chicago-based company that also manufactured cast iron pipe and fittings for the water works industry, bought National Cast Iron Pipe Company and the local company became known as James B. Clow and Sons, National Division. In 1961, the Board of Directors elected to change the corporate name to Clow Corporation but this plant was still known as Clow Corporation, National Division.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
In 1965, the single story Engineering Annex was added and provided officers for the general manager and secretary and the entire Engineering group. In 1984, Clow Corporation was bought in its entirety by McWane Cast Iron Pipe Company, a local competitor. The manufacturing facilities were demolished, leaving only the main offices, the chemistry lab, machine shop, gatehouse and employee bathhouse. These five buildings and the 68-acre plant site was then sold to the City of Tarrant for a token amount. The city adapted the main office for its City Hall, council chambers and municipal court. The gatehouse and employee bathhouse were demolished to make room for the Public Safety building. The machine shop was sold and converted to a privately-owned truck dealership. The balance of the 68 acres of land was subdivided and infrastructure installed to facilitate the industrial park we have today. Having been so instrumental in the development of the Tarrant, it is particularly meaningful for this building to continue to serve the community as its City Hall.