The Paper Mill Playhouse was founded in 1934 through the vision and dedication of Antoinette Quinby Scudder. Paper was manufactured here as early as 1795. Despite fire and changing times, it continued as a mill until 1926.
The Playhouse opened with theatrical productions in 1938 under the guidance of Miss Scudder, with Frank Carrington as producer.
With appreciation to
Richard B. Scudder and Edward W. Scudder
[ Second Plaque : ]Paper was manufactured here by 1795. Standing on the site of a forge and sawmill in colonial times, this was one of the first mills to use the power of the west branch of the Rahway River. Despite fire and changing times it continued as a mill until 1926 and in 1934 the Paper Mill Playhouse was founded and the building remodeled.
[ Third Plaque : ]Paper Mill Playhouse was in continuous operation from 1938 until January 14, 1980, when the theatre was destroyed by fire. The newly rebuilt theatre opened on October 30, 1982 and continues to provide performing and visual arts of the highest quality. Paper Mill, dedicated to excellence, is one of the country's leading regional theatres committed to educating, entertaining, and enriching its audiences.