Initially, "a number of cheap shops" were erected which, by 1863, included a fishmarket, a bakery, a blacksmith, a bowling saloon, the Sacramento Restaurant and the Pioneer Wholesale and Retail Variety Store.
Alfred Waddington retained private ownership of the alley until his death of smallpox in 1872. Both before and after his death the paving of the alley was of public concern. In 1866 dangerous potholes covered with iron plates were evident and in 1878 complaints referred to the sidewalk being in a sad state of repair.
Finally in 1908 a pavement of creosoted wood (Douglas fir) blocks was laid in the alley, along with a sidewalk incorporating a metal carriage curb at a total cost of just under $1000.
In 1992, the alley was restored by the City of Victoria with the assistance of the Victoria Hoo Hoo Club, the Cowichan Valley Hoo Hoo Club, the British Columbia Forest Museum Society and the British Columbia Heritage Trust.
Alfred Waddington, (1801-1872)
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, October 9th, 2014 at 6:56pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10U E 472656 N 5363819|
|Decimal Degrees||48.42693333, -123.36961667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 48° 25.616', W 123° 22.177'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||48° 25' 36.96" N, 123° 22' 10.62" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||651, 507, 612|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1315-1323 Waddington Alley, Victoria BC V8W 1K8, CA|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.