Also known as the Luna-Otero home, it was built for Don Antonio Jose Luna by the Santa Fe Railroad in 1880 in return for a right of way through the family hacienda. Numerous trips through the south inspired the design and style of architecture, although the basic material is handmade adobe brick. The Luna and Otero families emigrated from Spain in the early 1690's and settled in the Rio Abajo or "Lower River" portion of the Rio Grande Valley on the lands granted by Spain's King Phillip. Marriages between the families formed the Luna-Otero Dynasty, the most powerful economic and political entity of its time. Soloman Luna, acknowledged architect of New Mexico's State Constitution, deeded the home to his nephew, Don Eduardo Otero in the early 1900's. During this time, Don Eduardo's wife, Josefita (Pepe) Manderfield Otero made the improvements to the mansion giving it the appearance maintained today. Once serving as a residence for two of New Mexico's most prominent families, the Luna-Otero Mansion is preserved today as a Valencia Co. landmark, serving the public as a fine restaurant and displaying an important part of New Mexico history.