Incorporated on June 21, 1794, St. Paul's P.E. Church is the oldest organized church in Georgetown. Prior to completion of the first church building, services were held in the Sussex County Courthouse. In 1805, a special lottery sanctioned by the State General Assembly raised $1,500 for construction of the first church. During the early 1840's, a brick structure replaced the original frame church. In 1880-81, the church was remodeled in the early Victorian Gothic style - the plans being attributed to McKim, Meade, and White, a New York architectural firm distinguished for planning a number of famous churches. St. Paul's P.E. Church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.