In 1868, the formerly enslaved Rev. Israel Cross founded Mount Sinai Baptist Church in a log building here on Benjamin Howell's land. He allegedly never closed a sermon without saying, "Buy some land, build a home, and get some education." In 1871, the congregation replaced the log church with a wood-frame building, later remodeled in 1908 and 1911. The current Gothic Revival building was constructed in 1921. Carter G. Woodson, author of The Rural Negro (1930 Edition), called it "An Unusual Church for the Rural Community." Annexes were added to the church in 1966 and 2000.