This house is believed to have been built by Samuel Paynter, a carpenter who purchased this property in 1737. Following its completion, the house and surrounding land was sold in 1741 to Luke Shields, a prominent bay and river pilot. The close proximity of the bay and safe harbor of nearby Lewes Creek made this a prime location for those who practiced the competitive piloting profession. This section of Lewes, then some distance from the village, was known as Pilot Town, reflecting the occupation of its residents.
The property was purchased by Thomas S. Maull in 1836. The house was expanded with the addition of the present rear wing circa 1890, and it remained in the possession of the Maull family until 1957. It was obtained by the Colonel David Hall Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, in 1962. The Maull House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.