Ie Fort GeorgeConstructed by order of Lieutenant-Governor Simcoe 1796-99, Fort George served as the headquarters for Major-General Brock in 1812. In May, 1813, it was bombarded and captured by the Americans who constructed fortifications of their own on the site. These in turn were retaken by the British in December 1813. In 1815 Fort George was described as "tumbling into ruins" and ordered abandoned. The present works are a reconstruction done in 1937-40, and represents the fort as it was in 1799-1813. Only the magazine of the original fort remains.
|Placed By||Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 20th, 2014 at 12:56pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 657226 N 4790611|
|Decimal Degrees||43.25191667, -79.06313333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 15.115', W 79° 3.788'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 15' 6.90" N, 79° 3' 47.28" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 211 Niagara Parkway Recreational Trail, Niagara-on-the-Lake ON L0S 1J0, CA|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.