Born in Wurtenburg, Germany on January 2, 1828, David Binkelmann came to Grass Valley in 1853, after only a year as a new immigrant in New York. He mined for a time on Wolf Creek, then worked in a bakery. He became a renter of the business , but after two years, sold the bakery operation to Herrman Maurer and bought a half-interest in a brewery with John Frank, operating in the rear of the Western Hotel, which burned in 1856. The brick brewery was constructed in 1861, replacing a smaller 1856 frame building on North Auburn Street. Frank Richard bought out the partnership in 1861, and was in turn bought out by Binkelmann shortly after. He ran the brewery until his death on May 23, 1894, leaving his wife Sophie to carry on until her death in 1915, when the brewery was bequeathed to her son, David J. Binkelmann.