Frederick Davis Patterson, M.D.
April 16, 1867 - Dec.31, 1930
Dr. Fred Patterson was born in Stewart Co., Ga., attended South Georgia Agriculture College, Cuthbert, graduated Vanderbilt University School of Medicine 1890. He practiced in Lumpkin four years before moving to Cuthbert in 1894. Here he used his extraordinary medical abilities and human concern to bandage skinned knees or perform difficult surgical procedures with anesthetist Dr. Francis Martin, of Shellman. He held offices in and was honored by The American Medical Association, The Medical Association of Georgia and The Second District Medical Society which he organized. Side 2:
On this site, in this house, Dr. Frederic Patterson established the first hospital in this section of Georgia, January, 1916. It contained an operating room and four beds for inpatients. Joined by his nephew, Dr. J.C. Patterson, they moved the hospital to the Rumph House October 1919. They later bought the old two-story schoolhouse and moved the hospital there December, 1925. Fire destroyed this building on the night of February 19, 1946. Dr. J.C. Patterson returned to the Rumph House and began construction on the present hospital which opened on July 1, 1947.