On this rocky and windy promontory overlooking the Thames River, more than two hundred years of military history have unfolded. The history of this place and those who served here reflects strategic and technological developments from the American Revolution through the cold war.
From 1775, when Connecticut was a colony preparing to defend itself against British oppression, through the standoff with the Soviet Union in the second half of the twentieth century, the activities and fortification of this site illustrate the evolution of American defense.
Three successive forts were built on this neck of land to protect New London Harbor in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. In the twentieth century, the site became both a training facility, for the U.S. Coast Guard and the U.S. Merchant Marine, and a vital center for top-secret scientific research in two world wars and for several more decades, into the 1990s.