(1822 to early 20th Century)A cotton mill was established near this site in 1822. Although short~lived, it was the forerunner of other cotton and textile factories located in this area during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Cherry Cotton Mill began operations on nearby Sweetwater Avenue in 1893. The Gardiner~Warring Knitting Mill, later J.T. Flagg, occupied facilities a short distance from this site in 1927. Other cotton industries in East Florence were the Ashcraft, later Florence Cotton Mill, established in 1899, and the Broadus Mill which operated briefly during the early 1900's.
|Placed By||Florence Historic Board Florence, Alabama|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 7th, 2014 at 2:33pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 440015 N 3851976|
|Decimal Degrees||34.80826667, -87.65581667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 48.496', W 87° 39.349'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 48' 29.76" N, 87° 39' 20.94" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 201-299 Sweetwater Ave, Florence AL 35630, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.