Founded 1843The pavement design near this marks the location of the bastion that stood at the northeast corner of Fort Victoria. From here the stockade ran southward past the gateway at Fort Street, and westward toward the harbour. Each brick within the bastion design bears the name of a Hudson's Bay Company employee or later resident of the area. Bricks around the outer rim of the octagon carry the names of some of the Indians who signed treaties giving the Hudson's Bay Company ownership of the Fort Victoria site.Supported by public grants and individual sponsorships, the memorial project was initiated by the Greater Victoria Civic Archives Society.
This tablet marks the site of the bastion which stood at the north east corner of Fort Victoria. The fort was erected by the Hudson's Bay Company in 1843.Erected by Miller, Court & Co. Ltd. For the British Columbia Historical Assn. A.D 1928
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 14th, 2014 at 3:43pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10U E 472794 N 5363689|
|Decimal Degrees||48.42576667, -123.36775000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 48° 25.546', W 123° 22.065'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||48° 25' 32.76" N, 123° 22' 3.90" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 50-60 Bastion Square, Victoria BC 85602, CA|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.