You are standing within Lot Number One of the Old town of Petersburg, as laid out for Abraham Jones, Jr., in December of 1783. The first owner was William Byrd II of Westover. William Pride purchased the lot in 1745, and, entrepreneur that he was, very likely constructed the tavern that stood here during the Revolution and afterwards, known as James Durell's Tavern for its operator, and, after 1791, owner. The tavern was prepared to entertain George Washington on the second evening of his visit in 1791, but the President rose at 3:00 in the morning and rode north out of town. Both Pride and Durell owned both the tavern and the Upper landing (or old stone warehouse) lots. The tavern complex continued in that usage through the 1820s. By the I94os, the lot was occupied by Ritchtie's Seed and Feed, which abutted and wrapped around the Peter Jones Trading Post. The seed and feed establishment burned in a spectacular fire in 1980, substantially destroying the Trading Post in the process.