Operated by pioneer druggist William Loutzenheiser (1824-1805) and son, John G. (1861-1929.) The pharmacy began here in a wooden building in 1851. The structure gave way to the present brick edifice in the fall of 1855.
William was a member of the 1861 city Board of Trustees, one of the original locators of the Idaho Quartz claim, and was active in several other mining ventures.
On July 4, 1867 the pharmacy was the site of a bloody duel between two Grass Valley merchants, Henry Sylvester and John Davis, in which the latter was killed.
In 1928 the business changed hands after 77 years of continuous operation by the Loutzenheiser family. Between 1928and 1966 the building had many tenants. In the fall of 1966 Marle Johnson, known as the Flower Lady, founded Foothill Flowers. The interior of the building was destroyed by fire in May 1984 and was subsequently remodeled.