On Sept. 14, 1896, Sisters of the Holy Names established The Academy of The Holy Names by order of Bishop John Moore. Sisters Mary Emiline and Mary Hubert were the first teachers in this brick school. Donated by: West Tampa Centennial Society, Inc.
????On Nov. 29, 1896, Fr. William Tyrrell, S.J., offered the first Catholic mass in West Tampa in the second floor chapel. It is here that the history of St. Joseph Parish begins. In 1930, when the Academy was moved to Bayshore, the Salesian Sisters took charge of the school renaming it St. Joseph School. In 1955, the school moved to Cherry and MacDill.
Sponsored by: The Tampa Historical Society
September 14, 1996