The notorious Block 16, North First Street between Ogden and Stewart Avenues, was the only area in the Las Vegas Townsite, outside of hotels, where liquor could be sold, starting in 1905. The block quickly changed from its original liquor and gambling activities to feature prostitution. The swankiest of the clubs was The Arizona Club, the "queen" of Block 16. World War II brought an Army Gunnery School, later Nellis Air Force Base, to Las Vegas. Bowing to the Army's demands, the City ordered prostitution on Block 16 to end in 1942.