Grand Rivers Furnace
Built 1/2 mile west, 1890~91, by the Grand Rivers Coal, Iron and Railroad Co. Two stacks, each one 60 ft high with a maximum inner diameter of 13 1/2 ft., together could produce 45,000 tons of iron yearly, using coal for fuel until 1901, and coke thereafter. These blast furnaces were operated intermittently until dismantled in 1921.
|Series||This marker is part of the Kentucky: Kentucky Historical Society series|
|Placed By||Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 26th, 2014 at 6:48am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 389776 N 4095780|
|Decimal Degrees||37.00171667, -88.23880000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 0.103', W 88° 14.328'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 0' 6.18" N, 88° 14' 19.68" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1801-1849 Dover Rd, Grand Rivers KY 42045, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.