As the southernmost of the main towns on the Chattahoochee, the people shared affiliations with — to the north — the predominantly Muskogee-speaking Creek Confederation and a Hitchiti ?mother town' and — to the south — Hitchiti-speaking towns of the Sawokli, Tamathli, Apalachicola, Yamasee Mikasuki, and other Seminoles.
Though peaceful and considered friendly by the Americans, many of the Lower Creeks and Seminoles had strong ties to the British from Revolutionary War service and trade. Distressed by continual encroachments of white settlers, the American war against the Red Sticks faction of the Upper Creeks, and a severe shortage of food, Lower Creeks and Seminoles led by William and Thomas Perryman appealed to the British and Spanish for arms and supplies in September 1813.
William and Thomas Perryman became leaders of the war faction of the Lower Creeks and Seminoles. Their settlement, known as Perryman, on the Chattahoochee above the Flint, became headquarters for the ?Hostiles'. Their relative, James Perryman, was chief of Oketeyeconne.
The Creek Indians' request for aid suggested to the British high command a strategy of using privilegeless groups such as Indians, slaves, and pirates in the Gulf region to divert American forces from Canada. The Creeks indicated that contact could be maintained with the Four Nations — Creeks, Choctaws, Chickasaws, Cherokees — from Apalachicola Bay. Thus the Chattahoochee became central to British invasion plans. Upon arrival with munitions at Apalachicola in May 1814, the British found many starving Red Stick refugees who had come there following their defeat by Jackson at Horseshoe Bend in March.
People from Oketeyeconne were prominent among those being armed. Hawkins reported: "They gave four kegs of cartridges of 100 lbs each to Oketeyeconne and Tuttallossee and some arms, short rifles and others." Receiving such reports, Jackson demanded a huge land cession, mostly from his Lower Creek allies, with the line strategically located just south of Oketeyeconne to suppress the insurgency.
|Placed By||Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Fort Gaines High School Class of 1938|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, October 10th, 2014 at 5:29am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16R E 685497 N 3501487|
|Decimal Degrees||31.63361667, -85.04405000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 38.017', W 85° 2.643'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 38' 1.02" N, 85° 2' 38.58" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 47 Eufaula St, Fort Gaines GA 39851, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.