Governors IslandThe South Battery, or Half-Moon Battery, was erected prior to the War of 1812, in concert with the construction of Castle Williams. A battery is a fortification equipped with artillery. This arrow-shaped fortification was built into the hillside overlooking Buttermilk Channel to the east of the Island. Its position provided protection against any attack through the channel from the harbor. A single story barracks was located inside.
|Series||This marker is part of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 13th, 2014 at 7:27pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 583206 N 4504596|
|Decimal Degrees||40.68806667, -74.01528333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 41.284', W 74° 0.917'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 41' 17.04" N, 74° 0' 55.02" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||718, 212, 917|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 15 Evans Rd, New York NY 11231, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.