A part of the 1828 plan of Columbus, Linwood contains graves of pioneer citizens and their descendents, as well as the tombs of some 200 Confederate soldiers. Among those buried here are Anna Caroline Benning (1853-1935), who formed the "Columbus Committee" of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Georgia; General Henry L. Benning (1814-1875), Confederate leader for whom the military post was named; industrialist and philanthropist W.C. Bradley (1863-1947); Dr. Edwin DeGraffenried (1798-1871), one of the city's original five commissioners; Noble Leslie DeVotie (1838-1861), Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity founder;
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Helen Augusta Howard (1865-1934), founder of the Georgia Woman Suffrage Association; Ulysses Lewis (1799-1856), city's first intendant and kinsman of George Washington; pharmacist John S. Pemberton (1831-1888), originator of the formula for Coca-Cola; the Reverend Dr. Lovick Pierce (1785-1879), the "Nestor of Southern Methodism"; Philip T. Shutze (1890-1982), 20th century neo-classical architect; Springer Opera House founder Francis J. Springer (1834-1882); and physician-poet Francis O. Ticknor (1822-1874). Named for Ernest Linwood (1856), a novel by Caroline Lee Hentz, the cemetery was entered on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.