[Left Historical Marker]:This Land Office was established by Congress
on May 10, 1800.
President John Adams appointed David Hoge
as Land and Title Registrar, which position
he held for forty years.
In 1801 Mr. Hoge bought the lot on North Third
Street from Bezaleel Wells, founder of
Steubenville, and erected a log cabin
where the land of the Seven Ranges was sold.
The N.S.U.S. Daughters of 1812
State of Ohio
April 1, 1941
[Right Historical Marker]:
This old Federal Land Office, first in the Seven Ranges
of the Northwest Territory, was moved to this site,
restored and furnished through the cooperation of the
Jefferson County Commissioners
Russell Hesske........Michael Blischak
Nick Calabria.........Leo J. Nolan
John W. Targoss, Mayor - Samuel N. Johnson, Engineer
Mrs. Howard H. Minor - President
The Federal Land Office Park, Inc.
George J. Barthold, Pres. - Mrs. Carl Goehring, V. Pres.
Mrs. Earl S. Snyder, Sec'y
and many other interested individuals and groups who
gave generously of their time and effort.
Rededicated July 4th 1965