This academy was founded in 1881 at Landrum Chapel (Ebenezer Baptist Church, West) by the Rev. Collins Henry Lyons. In 1886 a new facility was constructed at this site, now on the University of Georgia campus. Here black youth were taught college preparatory courses in English, Greek, Latin, French, history, mathematics, public speaking, agriculture, sewing, cooking, music and printing. In 1924 the school consolidated with three other institutions to become Union Baptist Institute. The institute was dissolved and the building demolished in 1956 following desegregation and consolidation of the local public schools.