was the center of the British line in
The Battle of Germantown
October 4, 1777.
Here the artillery was parked.
The left wing, under Lt. Gen. Knyphausen,
extended along School House Lane to Ridge Road, comprising the commands of Major General Agnew.
The right wing, under Major General Grant,
extended along Church Lane, comprising
the command of Brigadier General Matthews and the Grenadier Guards.
————— · —————
The public market of early Germantown
was conducted in Marker Square.
Here too were the fire house, prison, stocks
and public scales.