This cemetery was originally part of the Depreciation Lands (Leet's District), Tract #22, and was surveyed by Daniel Leet in 1785. Known as "McKean", it was patented to Governor Thomas McKean for his service in the American Revolution. After his death, the land was willed to his daughter, Letitia Buchanan, wife of Dr. George Buchanan of Philadelphia. On July 17, 1819 Jonathan Hill purchased the tract of land and designated this one-acre parcel as a family cemetery. The area had been used as a burying ground for several years prior to this, the oldest grave dating to 1811. Native American graves were located on the western edge of the property.
Redoubt Number 4, an outer fortified redoubt and blockhouse from Major General Anthony Wayne's cantonment of Legion Ville (1792-1793), once stood in the southeast corner. The cemetery faces West towards the Ohio River, which is the former location of Hill's Island. There are two veterans of the American Revolution buried here, one unknown and one named Powell, as well as seven Civil War veterans: Alpheus Carothers, Isaac Grim, R.L.B. Hill, Daniel Holsinger, Isaac Mann, Robert Machesney and William Moore.
This cemetery was handed down from Jonathan Hill to Enos Hill, to George Cochran Hill and to Enos Hill II. The Hill Family, the Borough of Baden and the American Legion presently maintain the cemetery.