Formerly at 111 N 3rd Street
Up North 3rd Street from the Monarch was the Baltimore Hotel - the largest hotel in Victor in 1911. It was three stories high and had 50 large rooms for rent.
The Baltimore's management decorated their establishment with comfortable, home-like furniture. There was a dining hall for guests, a special commercial dining room, and the German Beer Hall.Charles Bosick and John Bindscaedler ran the German Beer Hall. It was located on the first floor of the hotel. The menu was long and exotic. There were domestic and Key West cigars, imported wines like Niersteiner for $1.50 a bottle, and cheese from all over the world. Lord Kitchner Sardines from Norway cost 20 cents a plate. Prime Russian Caviar was 40 cents a serving. Old Taylor, Old Crow, and Canadian Club - all whiskies - sold for 15 cents a drink. Three Star Hennessy Brandy cost 25 cents for two drinks. Coors Hof Brau, Schlitz Special Brew, Budweiser Blue Ribbon, Spatan Brau, Bass Ale and Guiness Stout were between 15 and 35 cents a bottle. The German Beer Hall catered to professional men. Its owners felt the "dingy" barroom was a thing of the past.
Post Office Block/CC and V Mine Offices
After the great fire of 1899, D.H. Moffat was instrumental in having the Post Office Block rebuilt - primarily because it housed the Bank of Victor. From this seat of financial power, reached through the recessed corner entrance, Moffat and partner John T. Milliken helped topple the Woods family empire and then bought up the under-financed pieces. A.E. Carlton eventually became owner of this bank.
In 1900, the Post Office and a newsstand occupied the space that most recently housed a sporting goods store. Shillings Dry Goods Company was in the section of the building where the current Post Office and grocery store are located. In later years, J.C. Penny's was located in this part of the building.On the second story were the offices rented to H.T. Corbin (justice of peace), Charles D, Gurney (attorney), John V. Ducey (dentist), and J. Wallace Collins (physician and surgeon). At a later date, one of these offices was occupied by Dr. Harry Thomas, father of Lowell Thomas.
The Cripple Creek and Victor Mining Company (CC&V) completed an extensive renovation project on the building on 1997. The first floor bank area and all the second floor serve as the administration offices of CC&V.
In 1900, the lavishly decorated Monarch Saloon was located in the large gallery area of this building - the interior still has the original hand-painted tin ceiling. Whiskey was sold in bottles embossed with the proprietor's name, W.S. Sexton. The Monarch catered to "high class" clientele with private clubrooms and a large gambling hall on the second floor. Bartenders at the Monarch included M. J. Sweeney in 1896, C.F. Kissel and Sam Red Fern in 1900.Other Victor Avenue storefronts in the Monarch Block house Small Jewelers and Simonton Insurance/Real Estate. On the 3rd Street side of the building was a mining stockbroker in the storefront.
Note the square parapet on the southeast corner showing the construction date of 1899 and the decorative scroll-like modillions [sic] attached to the cornice. The second story windows have fixed decorative transoms with beveled-leaded glass.
Photos Courtesy Colorado Historical Society, Victor Lowell Thomas Museum
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, September 4th, 2014 at 3:00pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||13S E 487826 N 4284601|
|Decimal Degrees||38.70996667, -105.14001667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 42.598', W 105° 8.401'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 42' 35.88" N, 105° 8' 24.06" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 208-298 Victor Ave, Victor CO 80860, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.